Search This Blog

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Welcome to the Course!

Hi Eveyone - Welcome to World Issues.  Please take a moment to welcome your fellow classmates into the course.  Remember that the blog is shared between both sections of the course running this fall.  Please look for your first thread response shortly - thanks!


Mr. O'Connell

54 comments:

  1. Hello everyone. Your first blogging item should be up fairly soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mr. Peters - you are a techno wiz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are the Yanks going to do for pitching during playoffs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that they do something ... otherwise we are in for a quick series

    ReplyDelete
  5. That seems a little harsh don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that people should have the right to build the Mosque in New York City because America grants all of its citizens the right to the freedom of religion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So regarding the mosque that many people are attempting to build in such close proximity, it is a very sensitive subject. Perhaps it is best to allow them to build said mosque, but on the other hand, it is very accurate that people may find it offensive. This mosque has the potential to rebuild severed ties that have been broken since 9-11, and as long as people do not take offense from the origin of the idea then it has a strong chance of succeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first amendment in the Bill of Rights says that we have freedom of religion. We can't deny the Muslims that want to create the community center the right to build it just because a few radicals have hurt our nation. The Ku Klux Klan did and continue to hurt our nation, but we won't deny them to build churches, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do believe that the mosque should be allowed to be built near ground zero. The reason for that is the United States of America was built on immigrants, and to deny any body the right to practice there religion would go against our ways. Another thing is it is only a small group of Muslims that are a threat to us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In response to the "Islam: Not in My Backyard" Article I think that based on the amount of Muslims present in the area that the mosque community center is being built at this idea seems reasonable to me although, in reality It is no question that a lot of people will be unsure/unhappy about this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe the mosque should be allowed near ground zero. Even if it causes tensions, religious freedom is in the Constitution.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Muslims should be allowed to build a mosque because it is a free world and they should be able to build it wherever they want

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like they are out raged becasue its an ISLAMIC center.

    Now adays no one understands the religon and since its forien to people they are afraid of it.

    It is human nature to be afraid of somthing you do not understand.

    the whole race didnt attack the twin towers.

    we should not be punishing the religon and all the peaceful people in the religon

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really agree with what Alex said. Perhaps building the Mosque can create new positive relationships between Muslims and non-Muslims in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, when it comes to the article I'd say that people need to stop associating Islam with terrorism. Radical followers exist in every religion, it is just the fact that the media displays certain things negatively which begins to convince people to think a certain way. Basically if the media and government aren't scaring its citizens in one way or another, they have little to nothing to discuss in political debates.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my opinion, People are rightfully afraid while others are rightfully offended at lack of rights. Its not like most of the protesters are stereotyping for no reason. Something did happen involving Islam and most of the opposition to the mosque are not very well educated in the ways of islam. However! there are people in this country who practice radical Islam. This is a spot where we need to be careful. I say let them build it but monitor it. Watch their actions. Not in an offensive way. But allowing them to practice while practicing national security

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that this entire situation is being blown up out of proportion. Like the article said, the Muslims have the ability to build a mosque there, but should they necessarily do it? If it is such an issue, and it is offending both parties, then maybe the Muslims should build the mosque somewhere else. It is not worth the trouble to stir up even more negative feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i agree with Sean "The Hammer" even though he cant spell

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with Cody, this is what i wanted to say but didn't really know how..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I believe the mosque should be allowed near ground zero, it's not fair to hold the whole Islamic religion responsible for what the terrorists did. What happened to freedom of religion?

    ReplyDelete
  21. ok, in reference to the article... the article was very interesting when taking in to consideration multiple perspectives, using quotes from U.S. citizens for and against the mosque. I found the national statistics on a growing muslim population. Personally, I believe that everyone has their right to religious freedom. However, I think it is disrespectful to build a mosque so close to ground zero. It is disrespectful to the people that lost their lives in 9/11. I am all in favor that people build their Islamic Center, I would just recommend that they choose a different location in New York City.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like Emily's point that the KKK is allowed to continue existing so a mosque should be too. It reminds me of the discussion we had in class about the Nazi rally. If they aren't stopped then the mosque shouldn't be. People should be allowed to protest against it if they feel it's necessary, but the specific people trying to create the mosque haven't done anything wrong have they? The Nazi party and the KKK have and if they're allowed their constitutional rights why shouldn't the Muslim community be?

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well when I read this article, I beleive that everyone has the right to have the freedom to practice their own religuion. To say that every muslim is a terrorist and to try to say they arent allowed to do something is against our constitution in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think they should be allowed to build it near ground zero but americans that still hold a grudge will try to harm the people that attend that mosque or try to destroy the mosque

    ReplyDelete
  26. well i think that the building of the mosque is an act of defiance against the terrorist atackers. the building of the mosque is a showing of the true side of islam rather than the skewed view that the terrorists portrayed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The rod brings up a valid point. superlike hahahha

    ReplyDelete
  28. I believe that Muslims should be able to build a mosque, we all have the right of freedom of religion.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am uncertain of whether or not the mosque should be built. I believe Muslims absolutely have the right to build it, but I question how appropriate that would be: "...no one objects to Japanese cultural centers [but] the idea of putting one up at Pearl Harbor would be offensive."--Charles Krauthammer. It is this sole reason why I am uncertain-- otherwise, I would say absolutely, go for it. But I also worry about the hostility I feel they will encounter once built. This latter reason is not exactly valid though, because people may become more aggressive and demanding of things if their hostile behavior succeeded in preventing the mosque from being built.

    ReplyDelete
  30. just wanted to say that sean and I are now team ramrod... and that's cool

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. i agree with nicole, the whole islamic religion is not at fault for what happend.

    ReplyDelete
  33. tkan is right. america perceives Muslims in a biased manner. We are focusing on the extremists right now; there are people like that in every race and religion. We can't base our decisions on the minority of their group.

    ReplyDelete
  34. i believe it's ok to build the mosque, although i don't beleive they should build it so close, if they were to build it not near ground zero. i don't blame the Islams for what happened on 9/11, but show some respect for what happened there, the ones that caused this were RADICAL Islams, so there is a tie there and shouldn't be so close together. i don't mind the fact it's being built, I'm not going to say it shouldn't be built but just put it more than 2 blocks away and practice caution with the actions of some of the followers.

    ReplyDelete
  35. they should build somwhere else. Its causeing way
    more trouble than its worth.

    ReplyDelete
  36. .
    ..
    ...
    ....
    .....
    ....
    ...
    ..
    .

    ReplyDelete
  37. We need to learn to trust Muslims and the religion of Islam. At the same time they need to prove their trustworthy as much as possible by discouraging radicals and helping and supporting the government. GO TEAM RAMROD!

    ReplyDelete
  38. frankly i think a compromise should be reached. i do think a compromise can be reached. I feel for the familes who lost someone in 9/11.

    i think we just need to have tolerance and stuffs

    ReplyDelete
  39. after reading the article if felt that the people were over-reacting to the muslims wanting to build more mosques.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awesome job guys ... keep at it. I am really appreciating your expression of how you think about this topic and your willingness to back up your opinion with some basis of how our government works. Good for you - try to limit the "Text type" in your entries, so that everyone will be able to read correctly and respond in like manner. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  41. The resistance to the mosque being built at ground zero, is the result of a "boiling pot" finally boiling over. 9/11 was simply one of the contributing factors, as Sean said people fear, what they do not fully comprehend.

    The United States government must uphold the constitution to the fullest of their abilities, meaning that the mosque ultimately needs to be built there. To show that our constitution actually stands for something, and that we truly believe in what it stands for.

    Looking at this from a political standpoint, the US has steadily been loosing credibility it seems like as of lately. We wen't to war to avenge those killed on 9/11, our soldiers wen't to protect our Constitution and what it stands for, if we were to deny the building of this mosque we would be allowing those near 4,000 US(alone) soldiers that gave their lives to die in vein.

    What kind of message would be be sending to the "Terrorists" or "Radical Muslims" if we denied the mosque? We weould be sending them the message, that they have won this war, in deminishing our constitution, and the rights it provides to our people. Than we would be no better than these "Terrorits" or "Radical Muslims" imposing there laws on free people.

    Do I feel that the placement of the mosque was approiate? No, not by any means. However stripping American muslims of their rights, is not the answer to this problem, we need to allow this mosque to be built to uphold our consitution. We need to send a message to the world, stating we are AMERICANS and we will saty true to our roots(Constitution), this will show that we are still strong, and true to what our founding fathers had worked to hard to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think JoeM has raised some importnat things to think about in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Joe M and Others - Awesome posts. This is exactly the type of thinking and commentary that we are looking for on the blog. Thanks for sharing your views

    ReplyDelete